When it comes to meeting women, most men will try to avoid sounding too cheesy or creepy, which means that pickup lines are a no-go, right?
Well, while most lines are guaranteed to get a slap in the face or a laugh and a “no thanks,” if you’re clever enough to come up with something witty and charming then you might be able to get a girl’s attention without sending off any warning signals. In fact, some pickup lines might even make her notice you more than if you started off with something bland or boring like “hello, how are you?”
So, with that in mind, let’s take a stroll down pickup lane and see what lines will work. The goal again is to avoid sounding too cheesy or creepy (especially avoid creepiness) and get her attention in a positive way.
What Constitutes a “Pickup Line”?
For most guys, a pickup line is something along the lines of “heaven must be missing an angel because here you are.” While that is undoubtedly true, the fact is that any introductory line that gets a girl’s attention can be considered a “pickup line.”
Overall, the goal is to break the ice in a non-threatening way that lets her know that you’re interested in talking without making it seem like you’re forcing yourself onto her. Here’s a good read on the psychology of pickup lines.
One thing to remember is that she doesn’t exist for your enjoyment, so if she’s busy or not interested then move on. There are plenty of other girls out there, so don’t get butt-hurt if one of them rejects your advances. There could be a hundred reasons why she’s not receptive, so don’t assume that it’s because she’s “stuck up” or anything like that.
Pickup Lines to Make You Memorable
As with anything, the more thought and effort you put into your approach the better. (Here’s an interesting study on when a pickup line is most effective.)
In the end, cleverness and wit are much more valuable than anything else, so don’t try to sound too corny and definitely avoid anything that makes it seem like all you want to do is bang. Even if that is your ultimate goal, starting off with a line like “Nice shoes, wanna screw?” makes you sound like a douche.
- Hey, did you break my watch? Or does time stand still when you’re around?
- I don’t mean to sound too forward, but you are far too beautiful to ignore.
- Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.
- Unless you tell me otherwise, I’m guessing that you are a fashion model.
- Girl, you’re like a person missing both a left arm and leg. You’re all right.
- I must be dreaming, because there is no way that you’re real.
- I feel like I’m dreaming, but if that were true I’d be winning the Super Bowl right now.
- Punch me if I’m wrong, but you look like someone I could fall for.
- Did you tie my shoelaces together? Because you got me trippin’.
- Does your booty know karate? Because it’s a kicking ass!
- Do fries come with that shake? I’m sorry, I meant do you want fries with this shake? (shake your booty)
- Sorry, but you owe me a drink. [Why?] Because when I saw you, I dropped mine.
- They say that pickup lines don’t work, but I don’t know. Can you try one on me?
- You may be asked to leave soon, you’re making all the other women look bad.
- Most guys will offer a girl a drink, but you look hungry, can I buy you something to eat?
- Do you work at Starbucks? Because I like you a latte.
- You look so familiar… didn’t we take a class together? I could’ve sworn we had chemistry.
- (to a girl reading a book at a bookstore) Excuse me, I couldn’t help but notice you reading. Would you allow me to buy that book for you?
- Hi, I’m doing a report on gorgeous women who don’t know they’re beautiful. Do you have a friend that fits that description?
- They say love is an open door, and it looks like you’re holding it open.
- I know milk does a body good, but girl, how much have you been drinking?
- (if caught looking at her chest) Hey, I’m not staring at your boobs. I’m staring at your heart.
- So there you are! I’ve been looking all over for YOU! Where have you been?
- I feel like a fly trapped in your web. But in this case, I’d be happy to let you sink your fangs into me. This metaphor kind of got away from me, but I think you get the gist of it.
- If I were a normal guy, I’d probably hit on you. But I’m an intellectual so instead I’ll create a needlessly complicated line to get your attention.
- Are you from Tennessee? Because you’re the only ten I see!
- You probably hear this all the time, but it turns out that Einstein’s Theory of Relativity was wrong all along. I just thought you should know that.
- If I took a picture of you, I could deposit it at a bank because your face is money.
- Excuse me, but I’m expecting an important phone call, and I want to make sure that my phone is working. Can you call me?
- Pardon me, but I seem to have misplaced my phone. Would you be able to call me so I can find it?
- I’m doing a survey about whether or not pineapples go on pizza. What do you think?
- Hey… Didn’t I see your picture on Wikipedia under “Shazaam!”?
- Well, my horoscope did say that I would meet someone incredible today. Unless that’s not you.
- Girl, you’re like a gel pen with .5mm thickness because you’re ultra fine.
- If a perfect girl is a dime, then you my lady are at least a quarter.
For more ice-breakers, try 100 Cute Things to Say to a Girl.